Fly Fishing Ireland
I worked in Ireland in the 80ies and have spent hundreds of hours at the shores and banks of Irish waters and on fishing boats during my appr. 15+ fishing trips to the Green Island. I also used to fish a lot for sharks, conger and other saltwater species when I was in the 20ies. I even participated once in the blue shark competition in Yaughal.
As many friends know I really loved to fish for pike and I still do. I caught about 2000 of them (in former times also with spinning gear) in Monaghan and Cavan during my visits. In 1986 I caught my first Irish salmon on fly and the one or other sea trout in the rivers Moy and Blackwater. Ireland is always a target destination that is worth the trip, be it for salmon, trout, pike or saltwater game fish.
There is so much to tell about Ireland that I really would not know where to start. So I decided to add some links to the best Irish fishing sites and to some recommended guides which I know. Have fun!
LEGISLATION TO BE NOTED
In the interest of conserving pike stocks and maintaining product quality, the following laws have been introduced:
- The use of live fish as bait is prohibited.
- It is illegal to fish with more than two rods.
- It is illegal to transfer live roach from one water to another.
- An additional bye-law introduced in 1990 prohibits: The taking and killing by any person of more than one pike on any day.
- The taking and killing by any person of any pike exceeding 6.6 lbs. (3.0 kgs.) in weight.
- Any person having in his possession more than one dead whole pike, or alternatively, more than 3.3 lbs(1.5 kgs) weight of pike flesh or parts.
The above mentioned prohibitions do not apply to specimen pike (as defined in the bye-law) provided only one such pike is taken and killed by any person on any one day and that only one such pike, in whole and ungutted form, is in the possession of any person.
Suggested guides for fishing Irish waters
Folgende Gesetze wurden zum Schutz unserer Hecht und Weißfisch-Bestände erlassen.
Les lois suivantes ont été adoptées afin de conserver nos stocks de brochets et poissons communs.
A következo törvényeket terjesztették elo a csukánk és édesvízi halunk készleteihez való megorzéséhez.
Ninsze przepisy zostaly ustalone w celu ochrony naszych szczupaków i ryb slodkowodnych.
Следующие законы были изданы для охраны запасов щуки и пресноводной рыбы.
Lai aizsargatu musu lidaku un saldudens zivju krajumus, ir ieviesti sekojoši normativie akti.
Siekiant išsaugoti lydeku ir versliniu žuvu atsargas buvo priimti žemiau išvardinti istatymai.